Friday, May 4, 2012

Franken-Friday!!

Good Morning Star Shine, The Earth Says 'Hello'!!


I love the many brands and colors that nail polish comes in today.  When I was old enough to wear actual nail polish the only shades that you could find readily available were mauve's, pinks, taupe's, beige, classic red... sort of blah... cremes and frosts (shudders) 

So, for years and years I wore only those shades, up until a few years ago really.  My most risque shade was this pale blue frost (I know...) from Pure Ice.  I don't remember the name of it but, it was my first blue and my boyfriend talked me into buying it while I was standing in the store in front of the nail polish gazing at my go to pinks.  I remember him saying you already have pink get this.  So, not wanting to seem boring or predictable I did.  It was still a long time after that purchase until I really started exploring the greens and purples and oranges... 

Even with all the colors I own now, I still find myself lemming for colors I'll probably never own.  Those hard to find or discontinued or LE polishes everybody wants.  And that's where frankening
(the art of creating your own, unique polish by mixing two or more together) comes in handy. 

A note to you here:  If you do decide to attempt frankening a polish of your own you do so at your own risk.  Nail polish, while wonderful and beautiful, is a chemical and is flammable...you never know how mixing two will turn out.

Having said that, I've never personally had a problem.

This is my attempt to franken Essie's big one... Starry, Starry, Night. 

For this one, I started with a 1/4 bottle of Wet-N-Wild Clear.

Next, I used a Wet-N-Wild Craze in Nocturnal, this is a polish that you would be hard pressed to find.  It's just a navy blue jelly, so dark it looks almost black.  So any navy blue jelly would probably lend you a favorable result.  It was about 1/4 - 1/2 the bottle, I think (the Craze line comes in smaller than average size bottles). 

Added to that, about 1/2 bottle of L.A. Colors Art Deco Nail Art Laquer in Silver Glitter.

Add a couple BB's ( small metal balls made for a BB gun...just make sure and use zinc plated ones, or your polish may become discolored.

Shake and voila! your very own version of the infamously beautiful, simply stunning, Essie Starry, Starry Night.



I call this Once Upon A Galaxy...

       2 coats Once Upon A Galaxy, 1 coat top coat, taken with flash.                          Macro-shot, gorgeous!


As I type this post I can't stop staring
at my nails....
There's just something
about blue glitters that just
mesmerizes me....
                          Once Upon A Galaxy, without flash.                                  A close-up of Once Upon A Galaxy.


So that's Once Upon A Galaxy,
 easily as beautiful even if not exactly the same as Starry, Starry Night

Thank you for taking the time to look at it and again sorry about my nails, they're under construction :)

Have you ever frankened a nail polish?  How did it come out? 
Do you plan to try to franken this one? 

I'd love to see your photos of your frankens if you'd like to share them.

Have a Beautiful Day!

XOXO,

T.
        


  

No comments:

Post a Comment